Finding the right products for sensitive skin, including the best moisturizer for sensitive skin is important. People managing conditions like eczema, rosacea and allergies are unlikely to be able to choose products based on looks alone. It’s important that they seek out products that are designed to be compatible with their sensitivities. Fortunately, since sensitive skin conditions are fairly common, there are many great products that limit fragrances and unnatural ingredients in order to provide skin care without triggering potential problems.
Moisturization is an important part of a healthy skin care routine that often gets skipped, especially by people who have a tendency to break out. They may falsely believe that the act of using moisturizer is the cause of their skin issues, when the truth is that they may be using a product that’s incompatible with their skin type or has allergens, fragrances or synthetic ingredients that are causing a skin condition to flare.
Using moisturizers designed for sensitive skin can smooth skin’s texture, improve elasticity, minimize the appearance of imperfections and offer a renewed glow. There are many products available, some of which have targeted benefits like wrinkle reduction or scar minimization. Check out our guide to the 10 best moisturizers for sensitive skin to learn more about a variety of great picks.
Best Moisturizer For Sensitive Skin Buyer’s Guide
What Are The Symptoms of Sensitive Skin?
People coping with sensitive skin already know that it’s pretty hard to miss. Cheeks that flush red easily, a tendency to break out in hives or a burning and stinging sensation when using certain cosmetics are all pretty good indications. Sun sensitivity, scaly patches and an inability to tolerate fragranced products on the skin are also common symptoms.
Why Do Some Products Irritate The Skin, And Why Should They Be Avoided?
The two most common elements of skin care products that cause irritation issues are preservatives and fragrances. When a product is made with water, preservatives are required to inhibit bacterial growth. Some preservatives, such as parabens, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol and other synthetics, have been linked with sensitive skin issues. The long term effects of these chemicals isn’t known, but in the short term, they can cause irritant contact dermatitis for sensitive skinned individuals and should not be used in order to avoid potential scarring.
What Makes a Product Good For Sensitive Skin?
Products that are good for sensitive skin are generally made with natural ingredients, do not contain any synthetic smells and are hypoallergenic. When choosing a product, look for indicators like “fragrance free”, “no fragrance”, “all natural” and “hypoallergenic”.
Best Moisturizer For Sensitive Skin Reviews
Great for mature sensitive skin, this pick targets pesky dark circles and loose skin. It firms and tightens the skin’s appearance, offering a healthy, young glow that’s often missing when skin is dry and undernourished. The combination of coconut oil and shea butter offers deep moisture that leaves skin feeling extra soft and increases elasticity by boosting collagen production.
- Reduces visible aging signs such as dark circles and puffiness
- Improves wrinkle appearance with rich coconut oil
- Collagen improves skin’s elasticity and firmness
- People with naturally oily skin may find this cream too heavy
- Extra dry skin may require more than one application
Clogged pores are a thing of the past thanks to this non-comedogenic pick, which uses all natural plant extracts to soothe and nourish sensitive, irritated skin. It’s a concentrated formula, so minimal product is required – using too much can be overkill. There’s lots of moisture to be had here, and as long as it’s applied in the right amount, zero greasy appearance.
- The non-comedogenic formula is great for avoiding clogged pores and breakouts
- It’s free of toxic petrochemicals, so you can feel good about putting it on your face
- Concentrated product means a little goes a long way
- It’s a better pick during drying Winter weather, as summer heat can make the product feel too heavy
- Using too much product can result in a layer remaining on skin
An ideal pick for dry skin, this cream works well for rough, scaly patches and tough to tackle dryness. Often, moisturizers fail to trap and preserve skin’s moisture as they work. The hyaluronic acid present in this product creates a humectant barrier that keeps moisturized skin intact. It also works well on red, irritated skin, using immuno-prebiotics to restore comfort.
- It’s ideal for targeting rough, scaly problem skin that other products sometimes struggle to treat
- Collagen production is increased thanks to the presence of derma-lipid peptides
- Sensitive skin and redness are controlled by the presence of unique immuno-prebiotics
- May temporary leave a film on facial skin
- May feel greasy to some users
Cruelty free and full of nourishing natural ingredients, this oat-based cream is enhanced with Camellia, Rosehip, Argan, Chammomile and other beneficial extracts. It helps to restore an even skin tone in a natural, gentle way as collagen and elastin production are improved by the addition of hyaluronic acid. It’s a lightweight formula that distributes evenly and feels best applied in thin layers.
- Offers a smooth, soft, balanced feeling to skin
- Silky product texture allows for even distribution on skin’s surface
- It’s vegan and cruelty free, so it’s never tested on animals or made with any animal products
- A little goes a long way, and too much can feel too heavy on the skin
Chronically reactive skin can be very frustrating to deal with, as sufferers are left feeling like there’s nothing they can do to avoid triggering irritation. This is an ideal choice for reactive skin thanks to soothing natural moisture from jojoba, shea, mango, mafura butter and more. It’s a potential holy grail product for redness sufferers, calming blotchiness both immediately and over time.
- Product offers deep hydration thanks to shea and mango butters as well as jojoba oil and other natural elements
- Helps to calm irritated skin, especially for reaction prone users
- Works to reduce facial redness in the short and long term
- Product may take a long time to absorb
Acne and sunburns can cause lasting damage to facial skin, but this restorative, paraben-free pick uses hyaluronic acid and other natural moisturizers to heal visible scarring. It’s ideal for reducing difficult dark spots and uses rich natural oils to hydrate dry skin and minimize the appearance of wrinkles. It’s also vegan and cruelty free, so you can be sure it’s an ethical product.
- Product offers reductions in skin discoloration
- It’s a great pick for restoring skin vitality after acne scars or serious sun damage
- Hyaluronic acid and other natural ingredients offer skin firming and smoothing qualities while also boosting collagen production
- Users with oily or combination skin may find this product to be too heavy
- Those without serious damage may find resurfacing effects to be minimal
Rosehip seed oil, hibiscus flower extract, aloe vera and nourishing vitamins combine here to provide a 76% organic moisturizer that’s perfect for dry, sensitive complexions. It’s non-comedogenic, so it keeps your pores clear while delivering that deep, essential moisture. This pick is great at restoring a natural, youthful glow to dry skin while soothing irritation and minimizing redness.
- Product is super hydrating while also non-comedogenic, so it won’t clog pores
- Organic botanical ingredients offer serious results but keep sensitive skin free from redness and irritation
- It offers improvement to skin’s smoothness
- Pump mechanism can dispense too much product if bottle is shaken or banged around
- While natural, the fragrance may be overwhelming to some users
Known for providing a range of trusted and accessible products for those with sensitive skin, Cetaphil doesn’t disappoint with their shea butter based offering. It offers a full 24 hours of moisture with no fragrance or greasy feeling, plus it won’t clog pores and it’s one of the brands most commonly recommended by dermatologists. It’s a great pick for sensitive combination or oily skin, but those with dry facial skin may need to use it a bit more frequently.
- Offers a full day of protection and hydration to easily irritated skin
- Non greasy and non comedogenic, so pores stay clog free
- Cetaphil is a trusted brand that’s known for offering hypoallergenic skin care products that work
- Formula is light, so extra rough or flaky skin may take multiple applications to demonstrate results
- Some users may find the texture of the product sticky on their skin
Honey and aloe vera are two of nature’s most potent anti-inflammatories, and they combine here to create a creme that’s ideal for treating difficult conditions like psoriasis, rosacea, eczema, shingles and more. The nourishing, hydrating formula is so gentle that it can even be used for baby’s problem skin. The lightweight formula absorbs quickly and evenly, and extra dry skin patches may need some extra product.
- Product is a great pick for painful skin conditions like shingles, rosacea and others
- Natural anti inflammatories aloe vera and manuka honey offer redness reduction and healing
- It’s a gentle enough formula to use on a baby’s skin
- Users with combination skin may experience breakouts
- Super light formula may not offer full hydration in one application
Like wine, life only gets better with age – skin, not so much. This pick targets the wrinkles and fine lines that naturally accompany mature skin, offering hydration and firmness and reducing the appearance of sag. Natural peptides also do away with dull skin, leaving faces healthy and radiant. It’s ideal for calming redness-prone skin, as it’s great at easing irritations gently but quickly.
- Product is a perfect pick for mature skin, reducing wrinkle and fine line appearance
- Offers skin firming and improved glowing appearance thanks to beneficial peptides
- Reduces the appearance of skin inflammation, including redness
- Some users may feel this product has a noticeable scent despite fragrance free branding
- Very sensitive skin may feel a stinging sensation upon application