A good facial moisturizer can improve skin’s appearance drastically. The best tinted moisturizer is no exception to this rule. When facial skin is dry, it’s more likely to look patchy and dull. Dark circles look more pronounced, and fine lines and wrinkles look deeper. There are many types and brands of facial moisturizer available, and picking the right one often means matching product features with skin type. Oily and combination skin can benefit from thin, non-comedogenic moisturizers designed to target problem areas without causing breakouts, while those with dry skin benefit more from richer creams that hydrate stubborn dry spots.
Tinted moisturizer is an ideal pick for those who want to subtly even skin tone and correct mild discoloration. It is often lighter than foundation or powder, which some wearers find to be too heavy and a trigger for breakouts. Some products offer sun protection as well, making them great for daily wear. They are often non comedogenic, and may be a better pick in some cases for those with ongoing skin conditions such as acne or rosacea.
The best tinted moisturizer products are available in a number of forms. Sometimes, they are referred to as BB or CC (color correcting) creams. Other times, they are simply referred to color correcting moisturizer or tinted moisturizer.
Best Tinted Moisturizer Buyer’s Guide
What is Tinted Moisturizer?
Simply put, it is a facial moisturizer that contains natural skin tone tint. Some picks are available in a variety of tones, just like foundation.
Why is Tinted Moisturizer used?
Like most tinted products for facial skin, tinted moisturizer is used to conceal minor skin discolorations and even the appearance of the wearer’s skin tone. It is sometimes used instead of foundation because it is less heavy, not as likely to clog pores and may be less irritating for those with chronic skin conditions.
What features should be looked for in the Best Tinted Moisturizer?
Product names like “BB cream”, “CC cream” and “color correcting” are all indicative that a moisturizer is tinted. It’s wise to look for picks that contain sun protection, as sun damage is a leading cause of aging for delicate facial skin.
Best Tinted Moisturizer Reviews
A smooth, sexy, flawless complexion is an application away with this hydrating gel cream that features impressive SPF 30 protection. BareMinerals are experts at creating facial makeup that’s healthy, beautiful and leaves skin feeling great, and Complexion Rescue offers deep hydration and remarkably long wear. It’s a sheer formula, which is good for fair skinned wearers – multiple layers of product can be used to achieve more significant color correction.
- It offers broad spectrum SPF 30 protection, so it’s great for daily wear
- BareMinerals face products are known for their smooth, even look and long wear
- Layers easily to provide the wearer’s desired amount of color coverage
- It looks great on warm skin tones, but very pale, cool tones may find it too dark
- It’s extremely sheer, so those wanting significant coverage should be prepared to layer
- Oily complexions may find the finish a little greasy, but a matte powder works wonders to finish things off
A perfect beach pick, this tinted facial sunscreen spares wearers from the unsightly white streaks of the zinc oxide sunscreens of their childhood. It keeps all the beneficial sun protection, however, adding a radiant tint with clean, organic, natural ingredients. It’s a product wearers can feel good about using, because it’s safe for the environment and the ocean as well as their body and skin. It contains beneficial anti aging agents that help to minimize the appearance of fine lines and prevent sun damage and puffiness.
- SPF 20 protection keeps delicate facial skin safe while avoiding unsightly white blotches
- Anti aging ingredients preserve youthful appearance with gentle moisture
- It’s made from clean, natural ingredients that are safe for wearers as well as the environment and the ocean
- It has a floral scent that can be a bit strong for those who are sensitive to scented products
- It’s not great on large pores, as it tends to settle in
- It’s a bit thick, so start with a minimal amount
Sheer, lightweight and dewy, this pick from trusted beauty guru Laura Mercier offers SPF 20 protection with a gentle tint and a gorgeously glowing youthful finish. It’s a great pick for day wear, and wearers won’t need to add powders or other moisturizers – these can make the light formula start to feel cakey. It’s the perfect pick for a music festival or a day by the lake, as it totes along easily and can be reapplied after swimming without fear of streaks or blotches.
- Laura Mercier is one of the most trusted names in high-end beauty
- It has a radiant, dewy finish that looks youthful and is perfect for day wear
- The broad spectrum SPF 20 protection is ideal for outdoor events, beach trips and more
- It doesn’t apply very evenly when skin has dry or rough patches
- It works best alone, as it becomes a bit cakey when combined with powder
Sheer and buildable, this illuminating tinted facial moisturizer is a powerhouse when it comes to protecting skin from damage. Powerful SPF 20 UVB/UVA protection shields delicate facial skin from the sun’s damaging rays, while Laura Mercier’s unique Dewy Complex works to lock in skin’s moisture and create a barrier to lock out external pollutants that can dull, dry and damage skin. The color on this glowy pick wears well all day long, but a little goes a long way – too much can make you look downright shiny.
- It protects skin from sun via SPF 20 UVB/UVA coverage
- It shields against damage from external pollutants and locks in moisture using Laura Mercier’s patented Dewy Complex
- Color wears evenly and stays visible all day
- It’s very illuminating, and too much can make the wearer’s face look quite shiny
- It wears best on warmer skin tones, as very cool, pale tones may find the shade too dark
Sonia Kashuk is known for making high quality beauty products that are accessible to the average person, and this radiant tinted pick is a great example. Not only does it offer sun protection via SPF 15 coverage, it also contains a beneficial vitamin complex which boosts cellular strength for a healthy, youthful appearance. The lightweight formula offers a natural looking glow that goes on smoothly. The only downside is the product’s longevity – the tint’s appearance may begin to fade midday, demanding reapplication.
- It contains a vitamin complex which strengthens cells for a more youthful appearance
- Offers a healthy, glowing complexion in a lightweight moisturizing formula
- The SPF 15 offers a light layer of protection that works toward preventing dangerous sun damage
- It looks great when applied, but struggles to last throughout the day
Clarins Super Restorative Tinted Cream SPF 20, No. 04 Honey, 1.4 Ounce
Ultra nourishing creams that are comfortably sheer are rare, and Clarins hit the bulls eye with this pick. It has a velvety, thin consistency that applies easily and smoothly, evening the look of skin tone and concealing pesky fine lines. It provides a gentle, radiant golden glow that’s flattering to just about every skin tone, and it’s designed to be layered so that wearers can decide just how much tint and glow they’d like to rock on any given day.
- It improves the appearance of skin tone while also minimizing the look of fine lines
- Adds a healthy golden glow to facial skin
- Clarins is great at offering beauty products that protect skin, and the SPF 20 here is no exception
- It’s very light and sheer, so multiple layers may be required
- It’s illuminating, so it’s not a great pick for those going for a matte look
Amazonian clay products are renowned for their healthy natural origin, blendability and remarkable color payoff. The formula plays really well with foundations and complexion makeup, and this oil free BB cream from Tarte highlights the best of the popular clay. A little goes a long way with this pick, which offers rich, warm color that looks best on warm skin tones. It features chamomile, so it’s a good pick for those who are prone to redness and irritation. To round things out, it also features important antioxidants and vitamins to give the cream an anti-aging boost.
- It’s oil free, so it’s less likely to clog pores and irritate skin
- It contains chamomile, a natural plant extract known to soothe skin
- It’s got antioxidants and vitamins that restore a healthy looking, youthful complexion
- It may be a better pick for warmer skin tones, as very pale, cool tones may find the shade too dark
- It’s thick, and a little goes a long way – apply sparingly
Improving skin tone is a common goal when choosing a tinted moisturizer, but what if it didn’t stop at coverage? This pick from NARS works to minimize hyerpigmentation and dark spots, offering visible improvements to discoloration in just one month. It also offers broad spectrum SPF protection and deep hydration that’s satisfying to dry, rough skin. A little goes a long way, so apply sparingly and layer as needed to avoid caking. People with oily skin may want to pair a matte translucent powder with this pick to help it set.
- Offers immediate hydration to pesky and uncomfortable dry skin
- Minimizes the appearance of skin discoloration and uneven skin tone in the short and long term
- Broad spectrum SPF 30 protection in a long wear formula makes it a great daily wear pick
- Those with oily complexions may find the finish oily and want to finish with a matte powder
- It must be applied evenly in small amounts to avoid a cakey appearance
Natural beauty picks are something wearers can feel truly good about, and the aloe, grape and pomegranate featured in this mineral moisturizer are antioxidants that help slow signs of aging. They pair with beneficial 30 SPF sun protection and natural mineral zinc oxide to offer a radiant, even skin tone with exceptional color coverage. Because the color payoff is so good, it’s important to rub this product in well – failing to do so can lead to some unsightly color streaking!
- Improves skin’s tone both with color coverage and through health boosting ingredients
- It contains natural antioxidants like grape, aloe and pomegranate
- It has broad spectrum SPF 30 protection with natural zinc oxide but no unsightly white finish
- If the product isn’t rubbed in very well, it can leave some color streaks
- It can feel a bit heavy on the skin for some wearers
- The product has a strong perfumed scent that some wearers may not enjoy
Great SPF, trusted anti-aging ingredients and long-wearing color coverage are the trifecta that make a tinted moisturizer great, and this daily broad spectrum pick from Elta MD has the potential to be a holy grail product. It features hyaluronic acid, long known to rejuvenate tired facial skin and offer visible improvement to signs of aging like fine lines and crows’ feet. With an SPF of 40, it’s the most sun-friendly pick on this list and is great for beach trips, concerts and other outdoor events with big time sun exposure. It’s sheer, so wearers will find it easy to achieve their ideal tone without going overboard.
- It uses hyaluronic acid to improve the appearance of fine lines and boost moisture retention
- It features SPF 40 protection, so it’s the most sun-friendly pick on this list
- Applies smoothly and absorbs evenly without streaking
- It’s very sheer, so wearers may require multiple layers to achieve their desired tone
- Very dry skinned wearers may find this product uncomfortable without prior moisturization