A tool chest is primarily used by homeowners for classifying and protecting their tools. Likewise, it could also refer to various kinds of storage to hold tools. Ideally, the best tool chest has the capacity to transport a few tools to a specific project location or a massive storage system that is set on containers. Toolboxes are mainly classified into two kinds – specifically the small, or portable, tool chest and the larger, stationary tool chest.
In most cases, a small or portable tool chest is constructed with a single handle on top and a lid that opens on a hinge. It is a type of tool storage that is easy to carry but has enough drawers to arrange its contents. Moreover, a large majority of portable tool chests are also comprised of a removable tote tray which has the capability to seamlessly arrange smaller parts and accessories.
On the other hand, larger tool chests are designed with a top chest that has multiple drawers, and a top lid which easily opens on its hinge. They are generally designed to sit on cabinets since larger chests usually include four or more casters which have drawers to organize tools.
Best Tool Chest – Comparison Table
|1. Keter 240762 5 Drawer Modular Garage And Organizer||Perfect for hand tools and fits great in small-sized closets|
Comes with organizer boxes and convenient brake switches that allow you to lock your dangerous tools
Light in weight and can easily be brought anywhere
|4.2 out of 5|
|2. GoPlus 6 Drawer Rolling Tool Chest||Features four swivel casters that allow quick and easy movement|
Side panels are easy to install and the wheels can be assembled in less than no time
Exquisite drawer liners and massive bumpers and casters
|4.2 out of 5|
|3. Craftsman 6-Drawer Metal Portable Chest Toolbox||High-quality sliding drawers that open and close smoothly|
Made up of decent bearings and sturdy materials that are excellent for organizing small tools
Easy-to-use for beginners since it does not need to be reassembled
|4.5 out of 5|
|4. GoPlus 20-Inch Portable Tool Box||Drawers slide efficiently on their bearings|
Made up of a top tray which is optimal for odds and ends
Fits well with wood lathe tools
|4.5 out of 5|
|5. Husky Tool Storage Organizer||Great for keeping essential equipment in a small space|
Ideal for storing irrigation parts and materials most especially during transport
Can hold heavy materials such as car batteries, saw, hammer, and multi-tools
|4 out of 5|
|6. Montezuma XL450B||Can hold a lot of tools and is compact enough to fit within a small space|
Customizable for basic welding
|4.6 out of 5|
|7. Waterloo WCH-266RD Tool Chest||Made up of steel and can easily handle heavy tools|
Has six different drawers to fit any types of equipment
Can be brought anywhere due to its compact size
|4.2 out of 5|
|8. Flambeau 6531BK Rolling Cart Tool Chest||Great for camping as it can handle a sizable amount of camping gear|
Made of a sturdy removable tray that can be installed on the pullout bar
Waterproof and keeps every tool dry
|4.5 out of 5|
|9. Stalwart Oversized Portable Tool Chest||Provides easy access to tools|
Wheels and handle are made of high-quality materials
The unit can be efficiently divided into three separate units
|4.6 out of 5|
|10. GoPlus Portable 2-in-1 Toolbox||The case is solid and the material is made of heavy plastic|
Small and light in weight, which makes the loading and unloading of tools relatively faster
|4.3 out of 5|
Why Do You Need The Best Tool Chest?
· It provides a convenient location for your tools.
· Having an organized tool chest can make your tasks more efficient and quicker.
· It keeps the tools protected and minimizes the risk of damage.
Things to Remember in Choosing The Best Tool Chest
There are a wide range of tool chests that are available in the market today. Each one has its own benefits, but they also come with a few drawbacks of their own. Here are things to remember when choosing the best tool chest for your tools.
1. Drawer Construction
Drawer construction should be on top of consumers’ priority list in choosing a tool chest. Even though drawers come in a variety of depths, widths, and heights, there are still some factors that are universal indications of a superior quality tool chest.
Typically, it is best to examine the gauge of steel that is utilized in their construction. It is highly recommended for consumers to find drawers that are made up of a gauge of steel which has a rating of 18 to 22G. Always remember that the lower the number, the more durable and the thicker the steel. Put simply, a drawer that is constructed using an 18G steel is far superior to and more durable than the one that is made of 20G steel.
Additionally, it is also advisable to examine the edges of the tool chest’s drawer. A low-quality tool chest contains drawers that have straight edges. Premium quality tool chests, meanwhile, have sides that can be folded over or rolled which creates a rounded top edge. By the same token, the rolled-over edge will provide a significant drawer stiffness which is imperative for drawers that are loaded with heavy materials. The extra strength of the material averts drawer deformation which helps you avoid costly accidents.
2. Drawer Slides
Another essential factor to take a look at in picking a tool chest is the drawer slides. Generally, drawer slides are classified into specific types particularly bearing and friction.
Friction or non-roller bearing slides function using kinetic friction. The steel on steel interaction leads to a slower, noisier, and a more difficult drawer movement. Even though their design is bulky and unpolished, a friction bearing slide is extremely durable and has no fragility that could cause bigger trouble. In addition to its highly robust construction, non-bearing slides are also easy to remove and install which makes misconfiguration during reassembly relatively improbable.
On top of that, friction slides are also much more economical compared to rolling slides which explains why they are most often found in every tool chest with lower price points. Furthermore, this type of drawer slide also does not require maintenance or upkeep other than the occasional lubrication.
Bearing slides also work in the same way as non-bearing slides with exception of their designs. The use of bearings indulges the user with a polished surface for their glides. It is most commonly used by everyone today due to its quick and effortless drawer opening experience.
3. Consider Your Storage Needs
Other than construction and slides, it is highly advisable for everyone to consider their current and future storage needs. Tool chests that are made up of roller cabinets with multiple shallow drawers are excellent in storing flat tools such as calipers, micrometers, pliers, and wrenches.
If you have a tool collection that includes large and bulkier items such as power tools, deep sockets, and welding helmets, it is most essential to consider a tool chest which has a box with roomier drawers. As a general rule of thumb, always buy a tool chest that has many drawers since it has the potentiality to prevent your tool collection from becoming like your child’s disorganized toy chest.
The 10 Best Tool Chest Reviews
Amazon Rating: 4.1
The 240762 5 Drawer Modular Garage and Organizer offered by Keter is consists of a bottom drawer that exhibits a deep storage space for larger tools. It comes in two colors and has dimensions of 23.5″ H x 22.1″ W x 11.3″ D. In addition, it also boasts a central locking system which secures drawer before and after use as well as more than 10 removable dividers and bins which can be classified to coherently fit your needs.
- Perfect for hand tools and fits great in small-sized closets
- Comes with organizer boxes and convenient brake switches that allow you to lock your dangerous tools
- Light in weight and can easily be brought anywhere
- Castors are connected to a piece of plastic
- Cheap plastic that sometimes bends on the weight of the power drill
- Smaller drawers
Amazon Rating: 4.2
Developed by GoPlus, the six-drawer rolling tool chest is made of top-quality cold rolled steel and is painted with corrosion-resistant and glossy paints that will prevent rustiness. It is also packed with four small drawers, two large drawers, two trays, and one bottom cabinet that could suit a multitude of tools. Similar to Keter’s five-drawer variation, the six-drawer rolling tool chest by GoPlus also goes along with a keyed external locking system which safeguards tools from being stolen and more importantly assure its safety.
- Features four swivel casters that allow quick and easy movement
- Side panels are easy to install and the wheels can be assembled in less than no time
- Exquisite drawer liners and massive bumpers and casters
- Too pricey for a small tool box
- Bottom section of the tool chest is made of cheap material
Amazon Rating: 4.5
With dimensions of 26″ Wide x 12″ Deep x 15.25″ Tall, the Craftsman 6-Drawer Metal Portable Chest Toolbox is ideal for heavy-duty construction. It features three full-sized drawers and three split-sized drawers and a top storage space which is quintessential for bulky tools and equipment. Addedly, it has ball bearing drawer slides and a key locking system which helps keep your tools secure.
- High-quality sliding drawers that open and close smoothly
- Made up of decent bearings and sturdy materials that are excellent for organizing small tools
- Easy-to-use for beginners since it does not need to be reassembled
- Does not come with drawer liners
- Drawers are made of thin materials
Amazon Rating: 4.1
The 20-inch portable toolbox from GoPlus is another tool chest that is equipped with a wide range of features. It is not only that made of a cold-rolled steel plate but it is also painted with a red powder coat which is resistant to wear and damages. In addition, this tool chest is likewise comprised of two steel latches as well as lightweight design and an easy grip handle which makes the transportation of tools quick and painless. Also, this toolbox has an overall dimension of 20.5″(L) X 8.5″(W) X 12″(D) and comes with three handy drawers.
- Drawers slide efficiently on their bearings
- Made up of a top tray which is optimal for odds and ends
- Fits well with wood lathe tools
- Cheap key locking design
- Drawers are not aligned properly
- Hard to use when it needs to be moved from one place to another
Amazon Rating: 4
The Husky tool storage organizer is a tool chest which exhibits a distinctive cantilever lid design that has integrated organizers. Its organizer is constructed with 18 adjustable compartments which have a soft grip extending the handle and dual latches that will ensure the safety of the tools.
- Great for keeping essential equipment in a small space
- Ideal for storing irrigation parts and materials most especially during transport
- Can hold heavy materials such as car batteries, saw, hammer, and multi-tools
- Cheap hinges that tend to wear over the test of time
- Box is a little smaller to fit machinist tools
Amazon Rating: 4.3
This 36-inch portable triangle box from Montezuma exhibits a multi-tiered structure which enables every homeowner to not only see their tools at a glance but also access them easily and keep them organized. Apart from that, it also features 39 pegs that have the ability to hang combination wrenches. On top of everything else, these pegs can hold 200 sockets.
- Can hold a lot of tools and is compact enough to fit within a small space
- Customizable for basic welding
- Lid is made of cheap material and tends to wear down
- Pegs of every socket bend easily
Amazon Rating: 5.0
Developed by Waterloo, the WCH-266RD Tool Chest comes with ball-bearing slides that have the capacity to support multiple drawers that is full of tools. It also has a keyed locking system which protects essential tool collections. It weighs approximately 85lbs and has dimensions of 28.9 x 20.5 x 14.9 inches
- Made up of steel and can easily handle heavy tools
- Has six different drawers to fit any types of equipment
- Can be brought anywhere due to its compact size
- A little pricey for a tool chest that has a smaller dimension
Amazon Rating: 4.0
The 6531BK Rolling Cart Tool Chest by Flambeau is rust-proof and has the power to resist dangerous chemicals. It also comes with a lift-out tray that has a sizable capacity for bulky or heavy items and power tools. Moreover, the 6531BK brand also features a lid which has the potential to support a 2×4 lumber. It is most recommended for the storage and transport of light commercial parts.
- Great for camping as it can handle a sizable amount of camping gear
- Made of a sturdy removable tray that can be installed on the pullout bar
- Waterproof and keeps every tool dry
- Wheels are made of surplus quality and easily falls off
- Made up of thin lid which can sometimes crack when overloaded with materials
Amazon Rating: 4.1
Constructed by Stalwart, the over-sized portable tool chest is made up of three tool boxes that can easily be detached for quick transport. Each box has approximate dimensions of 19.5 x 9 x 7, 19.5 x 9 x 13 and 19 x 9 x 9 inches. Likewise, it also comes with an adjustable carrying handle in the back and easy glide wheels.
- Provides easy access to tools
- Wheels and handle are made of high-quality materials
- The unit can be efficiently divided into three separate units
- No built-in latch for the two lower cabinets
- The bottom pull is not built well and can easily be broken if used in construction sites
Amazon Rating: 4.4
The GoPlus Portable 2-in-1 Toolbox is a tool chest which includes one small box and one large box. It also has inner removable storage trays that enable large tools to be stored underneath. Besides that, it is likewise made up of 6-inches over-sized wheels which make it easier for everyone to move the tool chest from one place into another.
- The case is solid and the material is made of heavy plastic
- Small and light in weight, which makes the loading and unloading of tools relatively faster
- Too expensive for its size. Better-sized boxes can be found on Cobalt in a much more economic price