Doing your makeup is an important part of your daily routine. It’s a time when you take a moment to perform some important self care, giving yourself the opportunity to create a look you feel confident about by enhancing your best features and putting a couple dots of concealer on a few pesky spots. Buying makeup isn’t always as fun as putting it on, however. Cosmetics are a multi-billion dollar industry, and brands are always competing to offer us perceived quality and value. That can make it difficult to know which products are really worth buying and which are all hype but don’t perform well.
Mascara is a product that can be contentious to buy because there are many formulas and brush styles. To compound that difficulty, everyone’s eyes are differently shaped, which means finding the right brush style for you can take work. That said, a good mascara is life changing – it can add volume, definition and boldness to a look without any of the inconvenience of false lashes. It’s a pretty essential part of great eye makeup looks, but choosing the right formula for you is important. Shopping for makeup is a lot more fun when you’re informed, so check out our buying guide and reviews of the 10 best volumizing mascaras.
Best Volumizing Mascara Buyer’s Guide
What is Volumizing Mascara?
A volumizing mascara is one that is formulated to make your lashes look longer, thicker or both. This is frequently achieved through the use of carbon fibers in the mascara’s formula. Ideally, a volumizing mascara will separate and define your lashes, making them look naturally more lush without clumping or a spidery appearance.
Why Use Volumizing Mascara?
Volumizing mascara can be a better pick than some regular mascaras if your natural lashes lack length and definition. It can offer boldness to your look that would otherwise require the use of false lashes, which can be difficult for a novice to apply and require adhesive that can seriously irritate sensitive eyes.
Features To Look For
When choosing a quality volumizing mascara, look for a long, deep brush with many bristles as well as a long wand. Look for words like “length”, “volume” and “buildable”, which will tell you that the formula is intended to create dramatic lash length. Avoid products that claim to do everything, including volumizing – those are usually a disappointment. Waterproof, hypoallergenic mascaras are always good picks for day to day wear, as they tend to hold up under almost all circumstances.
10 Best Volumizing Mascaras Reviews
The thick, luxurious brush of this pick offers amazing coverage, easily reaching corners for an even, full coat of product. The 4D silk fibers do a remarkable job of enhancing both volume and length, making lashes look full and flirty. Rain, sweat or a sad movie aren’t a worry with this pick, as the waterproof formulation means it holds up easily to humid situations. It lasts all day without flaking or smudging, but consequentially it’s a bit tough to take off – oil based removers are helpful.
- The 4D silk fibers add extra volume and length
- It’s waterproof, so it stands up to wet weather and hot days
- It’s a long lasting formula that continues to look full throughout the day
- It’s hypoallergenic, so if you have sensitivities to eye makeup it’s a great pick
- Because of the long lasting formula, it can be difficult to remove
- Depending on the lash intensity you’re going for, several coats of mascara may be needed
Full, luscious lashes would be a must have for a night at the Cabaret, and this easy to apply formula offers them in spades. When applied, the product makes lashes look full and long without any false appearance. The smooth, flake free coverage comes in a natural shade that complements most skin tones and offers the illusion of naturally luscious eyelashes. The cruelty free pick has a wand that’s simple to use, but if you have oily skin, swipe your lids with a little toner and pat them dry before application to avoid accidental transference.
- Lashes appear naturally long and voluminous
- It doesn’t flake off easily, but it’s still not hard to remove
- It has a unique wand that makes achieving high volume lash looks simple
- It’s a cruelty free product, so it’s never tested on animals
- People with oily skin may experience transference, so very clean skin is best
- Lashes do not have complete separation once mascara is applied
- Consistency is thin, so caution is required when applying
Bold, dramatic lashes in one application are possible with this two-step 4D fiber formula. The waterproof volumizing mascara doesn’t smudge and won’t react to water. It’s also totally non-toxic and very gentle, which means people who have sensitive eyes or wear contact lenses won’t have pain or issues with this product. While this product both looks and feels great, the application has a bit of a learning curve due to the two step process, and incorrect applications can look spidery. Once you master application, however, it’s smooth sailing.
- Lashes look significantly bolder and more dramatic in one application
- It’s a waterproof, long lasting formula that stays on without smudging no matter what the day brings
- It’s gentle and non-toxic, so makeup-sensitive people and contact lens wearers can avoid irritation
- Achieving your desired look requires a bit of practice due to the 2 step application style
- When applied incorrectly, the product may make lashes look spidery
Offering length, volume and definition, this fun pick has a cute package design featuring a mad scientist, prepared to do experiments on her unsuspecting victim. The deep black pigment of the formula looks extra dramatic, creating the perfect accent to retro and flapper looks. The curve of the wand makes applying the product easy even for beginners, and it lasts well throughout the day without losing steam. It’s not the best pick for folks with sensitive eyes, as it can lead to a bit of burning if product accidentally enters the eye, but everyone else, this two pack is twice as nice value-wise.
- The unique curved wand separates, defines, lengthens and volumizes lashes
- It has a deep black pigment that’s ideal for bold retro looks
- It locks in place well, staying put throughout the day without flakes or smudges
- Formula is thick, so learning to get the ideal amount of product on the brush may take a few uses
- People with sensitive eyes may experience burning and tearing if the product enters their eye
Maybelline is known for their quality picks at affordable prices, and Lash Sensational is no exception. The unique brush features an impressive 10 layers of bristles, which allow the product to distribute fully and evenly, defining and volumizing lashes. The flip side to the low price is that the product can be a little clumpy if you don’t look at the brush before you apply, and it might flake a bit later on in the day. The formula is gentle enough to be removed with micellar water, though, which is kinder to your lids than some other makeup removers.
- Fanned brush has 10 layers of bristles to add length, volume and spread to lashes
- Maybelline is a trusted brand that offers great products at low prices
- It’s so easy to take off that it can be removed with micellar water
- Extra heavy coats may begin to flake later in the day
- Product may be clumpy, so be cautious when applying
If you’re looking for outrageously voluminous lashes but hate dealing with falsies, this may be the right pick for you. It builds volume with a large, wide brush that’s great for wide eyes and maintains your lash’s curl throughout the day. It lifts lashes significantly to open the appearance of eyes, and because it’s buildable, you can minimize the drama during the day and amp it up at night. The brush size is pretty large, so people with smaller features may need to acclimate to using it.
- Creates beautiful volume similar to false lashes with a natural appearance
- Builds and maintains lash curl throughout the day
- Lightweight formula can be built with multiple coats to achieve your desired look
- The large brush size may be difficult to use for people with smaller features
- If product goes unused, it may begin to get clumpy
Women have looked to COVERGIRL for years for effective makeup at drugstore prices. The LashBlast Volume formula has been one of their most popular mascara picks for years, enhancing the volume of natural lashes up to 10 times. It applies easily thanks to a unique brush shape that fits the natural contour of the eye line, and the buildability makes it a versatile pick for day or night. It’s best to use light coats of this formula, which can help to avoid clumps and sticking.
- Offers volume that’s 10x greater than your natural lashes
- Buildable formula is ideal for low key daytime looks or dramatic nighttime lashes
- COVERGIRL is a trusted brand that offers quality products at a low price
- Product may flake by the end of the day
- Light coats are required to avoid clumps and sticking
If defining and separating lashes is a priority for you, look no further. The unique extra large brush included with this pick uses patented SEPA technology which separates and coats each individual lash for a naturally full and lengthy appearance. The brush style is also awesome for assuring that all lashes are evenly coated, avoiding a spidery appearance. Using a shimmying motion when applying offers a smooth swipe and dramatically volumized lashes thanks to the flat brush style, which is easy to use after an initial adjustment period.
- Extra long wand gives users more control when applying the product
- Offers dramatic false lash look without annoying application or potentially irritation-causing adhesives
- Doesn’t flake or smudge, staying put well throughout the day
- Flat style of brush may require getting used to
- Product may be clumpy and require blending with brush
No lash is left behind with this pick, which is ideal for reaching stubborn inner corner lashes and achieving coverage all the way to the lash line making it easy to create bold, dramatic looks. The unique brush is also smudge free, making it easy to boost volume without making a mess. It wears well all day, even when it’s humid or during a quick stop at the gym. There’s no fragrance to the formula, and it’s easy to remove, so it’s a great pick for people with easily irritated eyes. It’s a wet formula, so it works best when it’s applied in thin coats that are allowed to dry for a moment.
- Long wand and simple, effective brush make achieving a volumized look easy for everyone
- Resists humidity well, not running or smudging even during workouts
- Brush style makes it easy to reach lash line base and corner lashes that often don’t get mascara coverage
- Over-applying can lead to sticky, spidery lashes
- Formula is wet, so applying thin coats and allowing them to dry is necessary to achieve a great builded look
Diorshow is one of the most popular volumizing mascaras around, and for good reason. The formula is designed to protect and benefit the wearer’s eyelashes. The formula is smooth and luxurious. It goes on easily, defining and volumizing lashes with a wide, soft, deep brush. It’s waterproof, flake free and smudge free, so it’s a very well rounded pick. The thick formula is part of why the product works so well, but minimizing the amount on the brush is key to achieving a natural look.
- Formula is designed to benefit and protect lashes
- It’s smooth and easy to apply, offering great coverage
- It’s waterproof, so it’s a great pick for every day
- Does not achieve full lash separation
- Product is thick, so learning to use the correct amount on the brush may take practice