Windshield wipers are one of the most important features that your car has. They are classified as devices located on the base of your windshield that are responsible for removing rain, water, snow, ice, frost, fog, and other types of debris. In extreme conditions they are necessary for your windshield so you can see well enough to drive. The best windshield wipers are a vital device during all types of negative weather conditions, since they pose as a safety feature.
During weather conditions that present rain, snow, ice, or sleet, it can be difficult to see through your front or rear windshield. Because of this, having quality windshield wipers can significantly improve visibility in these conditions. They can prevent car accidents from happening. For example, there is no point in having the best snow tire chains on your car if you can’t see out your window because the blades are cheap, frozen and scratching the glass. Your snow chains are only going to keep you safe if you can see where you are going!
Even the best windshield blades wear down over time from constantly use. Because of the wear and tear on the blades, you are advised to replace them often when needed.
Worn down blades can rub against your glass windshield and cause damage to your front window. More specifically, your blades most likely need replaced if they are causing streaking, smearing, or miss large areas on your windshield during use. Finding the right blades for your vehicle can be difficult, so here are some important considerations and tips that may assist you in the buying process.
Windshield wiper blades come in various different size, so having the correct size windshield wiper blades is vital because if you don’t have the right size, then your blades will most likely not function properly on your car. Not only this, but having blades that are the incorrect sizes, then it will defeat the whole purpose of having the blades altogether.
You can find out what size blades your car requires in a variety of ways, including using your car’s manual, measuring the blades yourself, or going to an auto parts store. Using your car’s manual is the most reliable because it gives you the exact measurement of blades that your car needs in order function correctly.
Alternatively, you can also measure your blades manually with a tape measure, or you can go to an auto parts store where the employees with assist in finding the correct blades for you. You are required to know the year, make, and model of your car for this so that the workers can search the correct measurement blades for you in a measuring tool that they have handy. Some auto parts stores even have employees that will install the blades for you.
Different Types Of Windshield Wipers
Aside from having the correct size windshield wipers for your car, you should also consider what type of windshield wipers will work best on your personal vehicle. Generally, there are 3 main types of wiper blades, which are conventional rubber blades, silicone blades, and beam blades.
Conventional rubber wiper blades are generally cheaper and work merely for the purpose of clearing the rain and other debris on your windshield. They’re presented as having basic, rubber blades attached to a metal frame. And they’re typically the most simple and cost effective blades.
On the other hand, silicone blades are the most durable, which has the ability to put less stress on your car’s wiper motor. Silicone blades also have the ability to wipe away water and debris more effectively than basic rubber wipers can. They typically cost more than rubber blades, but they last longer and often come with warranties.
Alternatively, frame-less beam blades are presented as rubber and spring steel blades that do not have an external frame. Because of this design, they’re able to put more pressure onto your windshield when wiping, which removes debris more effectively. They tend to cost almost twice as much as conventional rubber blades, but they provide you with better performance results. These blades are recommended for you especially if you have a curved windshield because they are more flexible and can easily form to the front window more successfully.
You’re also advised to consider the type of seasonal weather that your car will be exposed to because you will need to purchase blades that can accommodate for the weather conditions in your location. Beam blades are most recommended for you if you live where the weather presents large amounts of snowy or icy conditions because they can withstand heavy residue.
Other wipers that are recommended for inclement weather conditions include blades that are infused with graphite or teflon because they present the most strength and durability. If you live in locations presented with inclement weather conditions constantly, you should consider paying more for your wipers, since they will most likely last longer and present more durable effects.
Installing The Best Windshield Wipers
You can either install wiper blades on your own or you can have employees at an auto parts store do so for you. The most common mounting method that most wipers accommodate for is the hook mount, which is generally the most simple to remove and install your blades. It involves you inserting the arm through the slot that’s present in the wiper’s bridge. After that, you’re required to line up the hook and the adapter together, and then punch the wiper into place until you hear a clicking sound.
Most installation and removal of blades does not require that you use any tools for the process, but some more elaborate ones require you to pry and press a tab or a level with a screwdriver. But if you have wipers that request this, you’re recommended to use a hammer instead, since it helps you tap off the wiper faster and more safely.
Windshield Wiper Tips
- Replace both your left and right wiper at the same time at least every 6 months
- Inspect your wipers regularly by running your fingers along the rubber and checking for rigid ends, chipped edges, or streaks
- Clean your wipers with windshield wiper fluid and a soft sponge if they are malfunctioning
- Clear snow, ice, and other debris off of your windshield before activating your wipers to avoid damage
- Check your rear windshield wiper as well, since it’s exposed to practically the same weather conditions as the front wipers are exposed to
Ten Best Windshield Wipers Reviews
These wiper blades have the ability to repel water effectively because they leave a coat of a water repellent film on your windshield after each swipe, which forces the rain water to easily fly off of the windshield. The shell of the wiper blades are made with a PEET elastomer material, and the blade is a silicone material, which presents water-resistant properties.
- Compatible for all four seasons
- The silicone blades are silent
- They have the ability to clear snow and ice from your front window
- Customers have had issues attempting to install the wiper blades
These blades give you a 2-in-1 features that allows you to use the wipers to not only clear water off of your windshield, but they also repel water from your windshield. It coats your front window with a repelling coating that can last for up to a few months. These blades are capable of contouring to the curvature of your windshield for a smooth wipe.
- Gives you a universal j-hook adapter to easily install the wipers
- Able to withstand inclement weather
- Packaging only comes with 1 blade
- Water-repellent coating often leaves a film that remains for a few seconds after swiping
These wipers present aerodynamic and frameless features while also including the ability to resist cracking, splitting, and tearing that is often caused by heat or salt on the windshield. These wipers conform to your windshield, so it acts as a squeegee to your front window.
- Gives you an aerodynamic design that prevents skipping to occur
- Blades act as a squeegee to your front window
- Customers have complained about installment issues
These blades fit OEM replacement and quality requirements, and they give you a durable material that seems to withstand inclement weather like storms, snow, and ice. Additionally, these blades present an aerodynamic design that allows the wiper to provide pressure to the windshield and prevent streaking.
- Gives you a universal j-hook adapter
- Presents a bracket-less design
- Comes with 2 wiper blades that are cheaper than the other products
- Customers complain about loud swiping sounds
These blades have been used on aircraft, trains, and even ships, so they have a strong ability to repel water from front windshields. These blades present a J-hook adapter, so they can be easily installed either by you or another individual.
- Wipers are a beam blade, so they last longer and are more durable
- Comes with a 6 month warranty
- Product has the most positive reviews out of all the other products
- The adapter may come lose over time if the wipers are used in conditions that can cause damage
These wiper blades present a three section hybrid style that has the ability to increase the stability of the swipes from the wiper. The material that the product is composed of is wear-resistant and corrosion resistant, so you may spend less money by having to replace them less often than with other blades.
- Gives you a j-hook adapter
- Wipers have a downward force that allows the blades to remain firmly attached to the windshield
- Blades are rubber, so they may not last as long as other materials
- Some customers complain about these wipers not having the specific sizes that they need for their vehicles
These blades are beam-style wipers that firmly cling to the windshield in order to remove unwanted debris. Additionally, the wipers leave behind a water repelling coating. This can last for months and removes any rain water that comes in to contact with the windshield. The wiper blade is silicone, so it provides better results than rubber blades.
- Purchase of the wipers comes with a grease cleaning paste and some sponges too
- Product comes with a warranty
- Includes a j-hook adaptor
- Only come in a set amount of sizes
These Bosch blades comes with a dual rubber feature that resists heated weather and ozone deterioration. These wipers also have a beam design that prevents the buildup of debris on your windshield. Contains an asymmetric spoiler that holds firmly down onto the windshield.
- Contains a j-hook adaptor
- Blades are a beam-design, so they provide the most effective results in removing debris
- Customers claim of streaking occurring during the first few weeks of use
These Bosch Aerotwin blades present a, exclusive fully-enclosed metal tension spring that easily removes any large amount of debris from the windshield. These blades also have a precision-cut rubber wiping edge and an aerodynamic all=steel frame.
- Used on a wide variety of popular cars
- Provides a variety of sizes that are difficult to find elsewhere
- Not all sizes are available for some common cars
These blades give you aerodynamic and frameless blades that help you easily remove debris from your windshield. The rubber blade reduces your windshield from becoming damaged or scratched, since it gives a repellent coating on your shield.
- Comes with a 1 year warranty
- Contains a galvanized steel frame that doesn’t rust or corrode in any way
- Comes in a variety of uncommon sizes and doesn’t accommodate for the popular sizes very well
Overall, finding the best windshield wipers or blades can be a difficult task, so you’re advised to follow along with this guide before going out and shopping for wipers on your car. Check your car’s manual to find out the correct windshield wiper measurements. And purchase wipers that can accommodate for the positive features that are listed in its review. Go through the list and find the best blades for your car at good prices, but don’t consider going too cheap, since those can often provide cheap qualities too.